Saturday, February 20, 2010

Sweet Potato Fries


Here are my sweet potatoes sizzlin'. I made this several weeks ago, and wanted to share. It's so easy, and delicious. We all devoured these fries.

Sweet Potato Fries
  • Sweet potatoes, however many you think you'll need
  • Coconut oil for frying, although beef tallow would probably work better as it has a higher smoke point (tallow is 420 degrees, while coconut oil is 350 degrees)
  • sea salt
  • cookie pan
  • tongs or slotted spoon
  1. Wash, peel and slice potatoes. I have a handy dandy cutter that makes the pieces uniform in size to look like french fries.
  2. Put about an inch of coconut oil in the bottom of a pot and put on medium high. I'll be honest with you. I prefer using stainless steel, but have trouble with the fries sticking to the bottom of the pan when I use coconut oil... maybe I wouldn't have that problem with tallow. Anyway, I use a calphalon pan.
  3. When the oil is nice and hot, CAREFULLY put a couple handfuls of potatoes into the pot. Let them sizzle for about 7-ish minutes until they are golden brown, and have a sort of firm coating on the outside of the fry.
  4. Using a tongs or slotted spoon, transfer the fries to a cookie sheet to put into the oven at about 250 degrees or so. This is to keep the fries nice and hot, and to crisp them up a bit more. You can use a paper towel to blot them, but I prefer to keep as much coconut oil on the fries as I can... I hate wasting coconut oil! :-)
  5. Once you have all the potatoes fried, sprinkle salt over the batch, and mix around on the cookie sheet.
And that's how I make sweet potato fries. There are probably other better ways out there, but hey, it gets the job done. Oh, and I save the oil to reuse again. Saturated fats like coconut oil are very stable and have a long shelf life. Although I think I will keep it in my fridge just to be safe. Like I said, I hate to waste!

You can eat these with ketchup if you want. I usually just snarf them up as is. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment