Saturday, September 24, 2011

Judah turns 4 and a cake recipe


Here's a few pictures from on and around Judah's 4th birthday.

We celebrated with Grandma Linda and Grandpa Allan on Labor Day weekend. Judah requested banana cake, and I made a very tasty soaked whole wheat flour cake with cream cheese frosting that was a hit. I followed this recipe for Pumpkin Muffins, but instead of using pumpkin, I sub'd mashed banana, and poured it into a 9x13 pan, which worked just fine. That will definitely be a recipe I will make again and again!

Then we celebrated again the night before his birthday, since we didn't know Daddy's work schedule. I made a shortcake with a raspberry sauce. Wasn't as good as the banana cake, but still tasty. Daddy gave him a BB gun. He also got sidewalk chalk, some coloring books, books, work boots and a monster truck t-shirt (a major fav!).
Andrew lovin' the balloon.

I've started giving Judah "reading lessons" from the book Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. About a month ago he really seemed eager to know what things said, so I checked out a book from the library about reading and started going thru it. Didn't like that book as well as the one I linked to above. This book lays it all out there for the parent, so I don't have to re-create the wheel, which is nice! It takes about 20-30 minutes a day, plus I'm learning things, too. So this is our start at home-schooling. I also purchased the book The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home. I won't say more than I thought that book was important enough to have my own copy, and plan to follow the plans. Right now, it's important to teach phonics and numbers, and read read read to him, which I do anyway.

The boys are mostly good at playing together, though we have a few issues that we work through every day... Where did these children get their stubborn streak from anyway?! We are working on implementing principles from the book Raising Godly Tomatoes. We're still working on it. We've made some baby step improvements. Let me just say, it's hard being consistent when I'm so pregnant.

Judah also enjoys hearing bible stories, which is our nightly devotion book right now, "The Story Bible" with beautiful pictures. We also have a couple other bible books with pictures that both boys enjoy looking at, and asking questions about. We're also working on the meanings of the Ten Commandments, according to Luther's Small Catechism.

We also have our animal and garden chores which are keeping us busy.

Thanks to God for a healthy boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment