For those of you unfamiliar with a Mr. Misty, it's basically a slushy. A styrofoam cup filled with tiny pellets of ice and drowned with an artificially flavored syrup. To a kid in the sweltering hot Iowa summer, it was pretty awesome.
My grown-up self looks back, with some nostalgia, yet knowing that I'll never have such a concoction again. I'm a lot more particular about what goes in my mouth, and my children's mouths, now.
So, I made a healthier version.
Megan's Mr. Misty
You will need:
- A magic bullet or blender
- Kefir soda or Kombucha (or some other type of liquid like juice, but these liquids are full of beneficial bacteria, which is why I make and drink these. If you don't know what they are, and therefore probably don't have them, you can replace with your choice of beverage, such as juice)
- Frozen fruit (we've tried blueberry, raspberry, strawberry and banana)
- I fill up my magic bullet cup about half full with crushed ice from the newly-fixed ice maker in my freezer (thanks, husband!). That probably equals about 1 cup of ice??
- Add liquid to fill it about 3/4 full.
- Add a couple tablespoons worth of frozen fruit.
- Add more liquid if the mixture gets frozen and stops blending. It should be somewhat stiff, but drinkable and stirable with a straw.
That's it! It's really a non-recipe. I make it a little different each time. And my boys think it's great.
And it brings back great memories. ;-)
This post is a part of Simple Lives Thursday.