Monday, February 8, 2010

My favorite breakfast: Baked Oatmeal

This morning, I made one of my most favorite breakfasts: Baked Oatmeal. The original recipe is from Kelly the Kitchen Kop. It's good for you, satisfying, and tasty. The original recipe, which we've made many times, uses raisins and apples or pears. But since I didn't have any apples or pears, this morning I decided to use up some strawberries I had in my freezer. Also tasty, though not as sweet as the apples or pears. But that's just fine by me!

Here's my adaptation of the baked oatmeal.

Strawberry Baked Oatmeal
  • 2-1/2 c. oats (preferably not instant, but if that's what you have, they'll work)
  • 1-3/4 c. kefir (buttermilk, whey or yogurt would work too. Something acidic to break down the phytates in the oatmeal to make it more digestible)
  • ½ c. coconut oil
  • 4 eggs (preferably pastured eggs)
  • ½ c. sugar, maple syrup or honey (I use maple syrup)
  • 1 tsp. Baking powder
  • ½ tsp. Salt
  • 2 tsp. Cinnamon
  • 2 tsp. Vanilla
  • 2 c. thawed strawberries
  • Optional: 2 c. chopped nuts (or sprinkle on each individual serving after baking)

  1. Soak oats and kefir covered on kitchen counter overnight. (I actually used the unsweetened juice from the strawberries, of which I had about 3/4 cup, then added 1 c. of kefir. But if there is not a significant amount of juice, just use all kefir.)
  2. In the morning, beat oil, sugar, and eggs until glossy.
  3. Add baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla; beat.
  4. Stir in oats and strawberries.
  5. Pour into 9×13 baking dish and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. (I usually bake for longer, more like 30 minutes, until the top isn't shiny anymore. I prefer more of a dryer consistency.)
  6. Feel free to smother your piece in butter and cream. Yum!

Between my husband, son, and I, we can usually get two breakfasts out of this. We eat about half a pan at a sitting. This is also a very handy treat to have in your cooler when traveling. This past summer, we made this to take along on a trip. And boy was I glad to have it along! I didn't have to worry about finding somewhere to have breakfast in the middle of downtown Kansas City! It can also double as a dessert. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment